Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thankfulness

The LORD gives, and the LORD takes away. Praise the name of the LORD.
Job 1:21

Today's devotional talks about how part of God's will for me, according to 1 Thessalonians 5:18, is giving thanks no matter what happens in my life. The writer goes on to say that doesn't mean you become an insincere person, but it means that you realize that the circumstance is difficult, give it God in prayer, and then accepting it as a chance to grow in my dependence on Him.

I feel like I have been hit, with struggle after struggle, after struggle. And while at the moment I am in the midst of each these struggles, it feels overwhelming, I can be thankful for them. I am learning, slowly, how to be more dependant on God through each struggle. I think I am either way to stubborn, or a slow learner, because these things keep coming my way. =) I know that I get consumed by each problem, and it can become my way of life for a while, then something happens that makes me realize just how small my struggles and problems really are, and how truly blessed I am. I have a friend who died this past Saturday, after about a 3 year battle with cancer. She was only 32 years old, and has a husband and 2 year old daughter. She was so young, and it seems so unfair that she was taken so soon. She should have had more time with her husband and daughter. She won't get to see her daughter grow up, go on her first date, get her driver's license, get her first kiss, go to the prom, graduate from high school, or get married. I don't understand, but I know that God does. My friend has been on my mind and in my heart these last few months. As a mother that is one of my biggest fears, leaving my children much to soon. There are so many things I want to see and be apart of in their lives. And for the moment I get that hope and that chance. My friend doesn't. However, we can still rejoice with her, because she is singing with the angels at this moment, and there is no more pain for her.

Steps of Faith:
Lord, let me be thankful in all situations and help me to see things from Your perspective.

Deeper Walk: Psalm 100 NAS
Theme: An invitation to enter joyfully into God's presence. His faithfulness extends to our generation and beyond.
Author: Anonymous
Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the Lord Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the Lord is good; his lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment