Saturday, May 15, 2010

Love Does Not Act Improperly

This weekend's devotional is about love and the love chapter (1 Corinthians 13) where we not only see what love is, but Paul also addresses what love is not, ("love is not rude").

The writer of the devotional urges me to think about this past week. How did I treat my co-workers, my child's teacher, my pharmacist, and then asks me to get to where the rubber meets the road, and how did I treat the people who live in my own home.

I have to say, I am much nicer to total strangers, than I am to the people in my home. I know when things get busy, and I am trying to do a million different things at once, I expect my family to be understanding, but I am not very understanding with them. Needless to say this devotional really hit home for me. The writer says the thing that we all already know, that we tend to treat total stangers better, than the ones we love the most. We all do this. Why do we do this?? Probably because we see our family day in and day out, and they know us better than anyone else, and we know them better than anyone else. We know how much we love them, and we know how much they love us. And.....we feel we can be ourselves around them, where we can't be with strangers. We HAVE to be polite around stangers, but with our loved ones, we can express our stress, and our frustration about the things that are going on in our life. It is not an excuse by any means, maybe more of an explanation.

However, we should strive to treat our loved ones with kindness and consideration. Just because we are stressed out, and busy, it doesn't give us the right to take it out on the one we love. So needless to say, I for one am going to try to treat my family with the same politeness that I would treat stangers.

Deeper walk: Luke 6:37-42 NAS
Jesus Teaches about Criticizing Others

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure-pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return." And He also spoke a parable to them: "A blind man cannot guid a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit? A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brtoher's eye."

1 comment: