Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Plugged In

Now if any of lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generusly and without criticizing, and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

Today was about a mother and a teenage son. She could see her son on the computer from the kitchen, but it really didn't do her any good because he was moving from website to website at warp speed. So she decided instead of asking him what he was doing she took another approach, she asked him to teach her how to move between websites as fast as he could. Instead of her son getting defensive and angry, he got the opportunity to teach his mother something new, and she got to monitor what he was doing to make sure it was appropriate. Not to mention getting a little quality time in.

It's important in how we approach and react to our children, when were not sure what they are doing, or what is going on. Especially tween and teenage children. I have to say, I'm not so good at this. I tend to be more of iron fist ruler, when I'm not sure. However, I do try to educate myself on things. I watch questionable shows, before I allow my kids to watch them, and check out books and music. At this point we don't really have much to worry about. My kids are 9 and 4, so they really aren't doing to much that I don't already know about. But my 9 year old is starting to want to get on the internet more, and watch more mature shows. He has even been asking for a cell phone. My husband is the technically savvy one in our household, and I mostly rely on his decisions about websites. But it is important for me to educate myself to. I need to rely more on the wisdom that God gives me, to help me navigate my son and daughter into adulthood. I hope that I will have the wisdom to see opportunities, like the mom in the story, and take the road that leads to a happy peaceful ending, rather than one that ends with screaming and yelling.

Steps of Faith:
Father, give me the energy and insight to be "plugged in" to my children's culture so I can help then stay grounded.

Deeper Walk: Proverbs 4:5-7 NAS
Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; and with all your acquiring, get understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment