Monday, May 10, 2010

First ever blog....

This is my very first attempt at a blog. My goal is to read my short devotional each day and comment on what I read here. I hope to grow my relationship with God by doing this. I need something and/or someone to hold me accountable for doing my daily reading, and if I write it out in the 30 minutes of free time I have each morning, since I like to surf the net anyway, then maybe this will work for me.

I have a couple of friends who are bloggers, and are much better writers, and more grammatically correct than I am. But I am going to try, it is pretty much just for me, anyway, so who cares.

I got the idea to do this from the movie Julie & Julia. I have watched this movie recently, and I liked the idea that Julie had when she was cooking her way through Julia Child's cookbook and blogging about it. So here I go...

I am reading my devotionals from Journey, which is published by Lifeway. They are very short devotionals, so it really should be pretty easy.

Today the title was New Dreams, and the anchor verse was "The peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."Phil 4:7

My devotioanal tells a story of someone observing another woman in her church and the motherly way she interacted with the young women at their church. She assumed that this woman must be such a wonderful mother, only to learn that the woman wasn't a mother at all.

This topic has been coming up a lot lately, about women who don't necessarily look forward to mother's day. I am a mother of 2 wonderful children, but I understand, somewhat the pain of what some women go through on mother's day. I have suffered the pain of 3 miscarriages, and the pain of those lost pregnancies creeps up on me from time to time. I find myself calculating how old that child would be, or wondering what they would look like. My devotional gets it right though, it goes on to say "While motherhood is certainly a noble calling and blessing from God, it's not the only means through which women can serve Him and find fulfillment. When we elevate motherhood to the level of being our greatest source of joy, we actually erect an idol." That statement really made me stop and think. I know that I have done this. I am grateful my children are happy and healthy, but I fully understand that, that can change at a moments notice. My family is a gift that God has entrusted me with, and I should get joy from them, but my greatest source of joy needs to be in the Father Himself, and my relationship with Him. If he chooses to take one or both of my children it would break my heart into a million pieces, but I hope that I would find my strength from Him, that I would lean into Him and that I would trust Him, that He has a plan that is far bigger than me.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you wrote about this. I was just rocking Sadie last night and told Paul I loved, loved, loved being a Mom. But is that where I find my identity? I must always remember who I am is rooted in God's view of me. Maybe then I wouldn't be so hard on myself with the mom guilt!
    So glad you are doing this. I've been having a dry spell in my quiet times since Sadie was born, and I really want to get back to something more regular. Maybe finding a devotional book will help me. I'm glad to read your thoughts on what God is teaching you!

    ReplyDelete