Monday, May 24, 2010

The Prayer Rebellion

Is anyone amoung you suffering? He should pray.
James 5:13

The devotional today talks about how most of us grew up praying before meals, at church or when we got into trouble. So when we see a verse in the bible that says "pray continually" we can't fathom how that's even possible.

I kind of touched on this last week. How I try to pray without "hanging up the phone". I have little thoughts and converstaions in my head all day with God. I had never been able to fathom the concept of being in constant prayer before a couple of years ago. I get a devotional throught my e-mail daily from a guy in Florida. He tackles the big things, and is trying to go into the secular culture to reach the lost. I really like him, and his devotionals. But one day in one of his devotionals, he talked about praying constantly. And he described it as just never hanging up the phone with God. That clicked for me, and that's when I decided to focus my thoughts into prayers, and have a constant conversation with God. I realized that I had been doing this all along, but just didn't realize it. I have just recently realized that God is answering the prayers of my heart. The desires that I didn't voice in a prayer to Him, but that He knows about anyway.

Steps of Faith:
Father, thank You that You want a relationship with me. Help me to keep in constant prayer with You so that I will be in Your perfect will.

Deeper Walk:
James 5:13-18 NAS
Is anyone amoung you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. Is anyone amoung you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offereind in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. The he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment