Monday, March 7, 2011

Childhood Scars

Lord my God, I cried to You for help, and You healed me.
Psalm 30:2

The author today talks about the after affects of divorce. She talks about how she worried about her daughters when she divorced her husband. She knew what divorce could do to a child, as she was a child of divorce herself. She wanted to make sure she got her daughters help to cope with their hurts and their new way of life. She prayed for wisdom, and God showed her a program to help not only her daughters cope but herself as well. She says that she realized that she had taken her scars from her parents divorce into her own marriage and caused damage to marriage, however she believes that Jesus can heal her daughters broken hearts so that they can have healthy and enduring marriages of their own one day.

I know a little bit about childhood scars, I am not a child of divorce, I am however and adult child of divorce. My parents divorced when I was in my 20's. I still don't communicate with my father....over several things, not just the divorce and the way he left the marriage. There are deep scars that my father left on my heart from my childhood....I am working through them, and learning to trust and lean on my heavenly Father to help me through. However I am just starting to see how God is using my painful experience for His will. We have some kids in our youth group that I see going through the same pain, I completely understand why they are acting out, and what they are feeling. God didn't want me to go through the pain that I endured, He didn't bring it to me, but He allowed it, and now He is using it to help others, using it for His will.

Steps of Faith:
Father, help me to be sensitive to my children's emotional needs and wounds. Show me how to apply the balm of Your grace to their hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment