Friday, March 4, 2011

The Best Gift

A Friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time.
Proverbs 17:17

Today's devotional tells a story about a woman who is picking out a book for her friend, whose teen daughter has just tried to commit suicide. She sees another one of her friends in the bookstore, and they talk about it. Her friend suggests that the book may not be the best choice for their hurting friend, as she is already beating herself up at the moment for not seeing signs that her daughter was in trouble. The woman realizes that her friend is right, what her hurting friend needs at the moment, is not a gift that suggests she needs some parenting advice, but her friends to listen and hurt with her.

I understand how both the hurting friend, and the woman feel in this story. So many times when I have been going through a personal or family crisis, I just want someone to hurt with me, and I have had that, and sometimes I haven't. The times I haven't have made it that much worse. I felt alone. But for the most part, a lot of that was my own doing, because I kept it close and didn't share what I was going through with others. There is a sweet sister who in our church that has so much on her plate right now, her mom has cancer, her dad is not doing well at all, and her husband is having some health issues. She has two teenagers at home, and her family lives in another state. I really feel her stress, and pain, I think it homes with me, because my family lives in another state also. I know what it's like to feel torn between need to be at home with your kids and needing to be with those that need you in another state. I pray that the Lord will ease her stress, and give her the strength that she needs to get her through.

Steps of Faith:
God, I never want to hurt a friend who is already overwhelmed. Help me to be sensitive to those who are going through difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment