Monday, October 11, 2010

Called

Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.
Matthew 6:33

The writer tells a story about her daughter-in-law, and her search for a job. Her DIL graduated in December from college with a degree to teach special education students. She says that graduating in December is a bad time to find a full time teaching job, but her DIL worked as a substitute. However, before the end of the year the economy did a nose dive, and schools were letting teachers go and increasing class sizes rather than hiring new teachers. Her son and DIL were praying, as were the writer and her husband. Her DIL's student loans were coming due, and their budget was in a big strain. However, a couple of months later her DIL received a job offer, and was finally working with special needs students. The writer says that she didn't know how her DIL did it, the kids were so needy. But her DIL told her that she loved her job, and she loved the kids. She said she felt that God had called her to this work.

Many people around the country have suffered from the down economy. As the writer pointed out, just having a college degree isn't enough anymore, and people from all walks of life are unemployed or underemployed. My husband and I have experienced the strain of unemployment, and the scare of going through many rounds of layoffs. It can be such a stressful burden to bear, but God always watches out for His children.

Steps of Faith:
Father, provide hope for those who are trying to find employment. Give them wisdom, let them find favor with the people who can help them, and provide for all of their needs.

Deeper Walk:
Luke 18:1-8 NAS
Jesus tells the parable of the persistent widow.

Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, saying, "In certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, 'Give me legal protection from my opponent.' For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, 'Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.'" And the Lord said, "Hear what the unrighteous judge said; now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"

a little side note from me....This passage gives me great comfort right now. I have a situation in my life that I don't understand. I almost feel lost about how this can happen. It is something that is out of my control, there is someone who has made a decision, and I can't change it, and while this decision is not about me, it hurts me deeply because of the love I have for them. It hurts to watch them walk down a dark and dangerous path and feel you have no control. I feel that God is reminding me in this passage that I need to continually bring this to Him, day and night like the widow in the story, and He will not delay over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment