Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Unique Purpose

My grace is suffcient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.
2 Corinthian 12:9

Yes, I am back 2 days in a row!! I know I'm on a roll!! =)

In today's devotional the writer told a story from her childhood. She wanted to join the band at her elementary school. Her mother got her all signed up, only to learn that the school district would not allow her or her sister to participate due to their being visually impaired. Her mother decided instead of fighting the system, to sign her daughters up for piano lessons instead. She had heard enough "can't" messages, what about the things her daughters could do? The writer goes on to say that whatever her parents original dream for their children, the only disappointment they heard was how hard it was for them to watch their children struggle.

I don't specifically know the heartbreak of having a child with special needs. However, when I was pregnant with my son, we had one bad diagnosis after another. At one point in my pregnancy there was the chance that he had spine abifida (sp?) then at another point they thought that his abdomen wall had not closed and some of his intestine was outside his body. While they assured us they could correct these things it was difficult to hear these diagnosis. Everyone dreams of having a happy healthy baby, with ten perfect little fingers, and 10 cute little toes, that you leave the hospital with 3 days after delivery.

My son ended up coming to us a little more than 6 weeks early, with much trama involved for both baby and mama. The hardest thing I have ever endured in my life, is seeing my newborn in the NICU, being on the maternity ward surrounded by mother's with their newborn babies in their rooms with them, and then being discharged from the hospital without my baby. We brought our son home 4 weeks later, and has been happy and healthy ever since.

Every time we got another possible diagnosis about our unborn baby, it shattered what dreams we had conceived when we learned that we were going to have a child. When we were going through some testing, we were referred to a genetic counselor, who called to set up an appointment with us. I promptly told the counselor, that she would be wasting her time talking with us, because it really didn't matter what the diagnosis was, we would never consider aborting our baby. God carried us through those long months of worry, and even though I wasn't in church at the time, and where I needed to be in my walk with Him, I always knew He was right there beside me guiding me through, and giving me the strength I needed to endure this trial. I always knew that if our baby was born with a special need, then that was God's plan for our lives, and for the life of my son.

Steps of Faith:
Creator God, some see disabilities as flaws while You call all Your work perfect. Abundantly bless children with special needs and their parents. Use the body of Christ to help and encourage them.

Deeper Walk:
2 Corinthians 12:8-10 NAS
Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment