Saturday, June 5, 2010

It's Only Lunch

Each person is tempted when he is drawn away and enticed by his own evil desires.
James 1:14

Friday's devotional is about a woman named Meg. Meg is tired, after another week of being alone with her kids, and trying to hold everything together, while her husband is gone on another business trip. A male co-worker stops by her office and asks her if she would like to grab some lunch with him, she hesitates, but says "sure". As soon as the words were out of her mouth she felt the Holy Spirit warning her, but she ignored it. It's only lunch, she thought. But throughout the morning she found herself thinking about her co-worker. During lunch the conversation started out lively, but turned serious, as her co-worker touched her hand, and told her that he noticed she'd been down lately. She pulled away, and told him that she shouldn't have accepted his invitation, that she was married. The co-worker told her that he knew, but he could be a good friend if she needed one. Back at the office Meg realized that she had used poor judgment. While it felt good to have a man's attention, she knew she was flirting with sin, that could get her into serious trouble.

The writer of the devotional goes on to talk about how our society's standards of what is and what is not appropriate have changed over the years, somewhere blurring the line between right and wrong. And as Christians, we need to be clear about where we stand, and to remember that we represent the King of kings.

I think the writer hit the nail absolutely straight on the head. We have to guard our hearts and our minds. Something may seem so innocent, but lead you towards a dangerous road. I make it a point to never do anything that I wouldn't tell my husband about, and he does the same. We know the passwords to each other's e-mail accounts, and facebooks. I am frequently on my husband's e-mail account. Not because I don't trust him, but because he doesn't always check it, and I can let him know that there is something there that he needs to check. As a matter of fact, about a year ago, and old boyfriend found me through myspace. We messaged each other catching up on each other's life. The old boyfriend was recently single, and I felt a little uneasy, because I had not told my husband. I told my husband immediately about it, and felt much better. I kept my messages to the old boyfriend strictly on a casual basis, and where my husband could read them. There is nothing that my husband and I don't tell each other. Which is the way it should be, but I know that I have to guard my heart and my thoughts always, because Satan is always lurking trying to lead me down the path to sin. I once shared a quote with someone who was trying to justify a sin like this, and it so true. "Sin will take you further than you want to go, for longer than you want to be there, and cost you more than you want to pay." Charles Stanley.

Steps of Faith:
Father, when I face temptation, strengthen me and help me to resist the traps the enemy sets for me. Let me be obedient to Your still, small voice.

Deeper Walk:
James 1:12-15 NAS
Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

1 comment:

  1. Accountability is so key. Way to go on keeping the messages with the old boyfriend on the up and up. It is so important that we communicate these things with our spouses. I find that when Paul and I have openness about our email, facebook, etc. it is not that we are not trusting each other, as you said, but that we are safe-guarding ourselves and allowing it to actually build more trust. Good post!

    ReplyDelete