Saturday, June 5, 2010

It's Not My Fault

Make you own attitude that of Christ Jesus
Philippians 2:5

Ok, so this is Wednesday's devotional. I'm running a little behind, but today is catch up day! So the title is perfect for me today!! I'm not going to give you excuses, but I'm not an excuse kind of gal.

The story is about a woman, who is continually late for work. Her boss lets her know that she is, once again, late. She runs through her very valid excuses in her mind, she was stuck in traffic, the kids missed the bus, she had to retreve an escaped dog, etc.... but as she was going through her list of excuses, she felt the Holy Spirit convicting her that she needed to take responsbility for her actions.

The writer goes on to say that God wants us to have a good attitude, and in Ephesians 6:7 we are told to "Render service with a good attidue, as to the Lord and not to men." And that if we find ourselves blaming other's for our faults or mistakes, to pray about our circumstances and ask God to change your heart.

For the most part, I am a take responsibility for my actions/mistakes kind of gal. I hate excuses, just ask my husband. Do I own up to every action or mistake? No. But I do try to. I have found that trying to cover up an mistake only makes it so much worse, and I really feel a whole lot less anxiety when I own up to what I did or didn't do.

But I think what this devotional is trying to drive home, is, it's not just about owning up to our mistakes, that we know we should own up to, but about the times when we feel it's truly not our fault. Like in the story, she was continually late but it seemed like she continually had circumstances that were beyond her control. However, we need to be prepared for those circumstances, and adjust, so that we aren't just making excuses, but serving the best way we can. It's so hard to own up to things when you feel you have a valid excuse for what happened. But if we look deeper, we see that we really don't have a valid excuse at all, it's just justification. And I always say if you have to justify it, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. When you are in the midst of being chewed out by a boss for something, this is the most difficult thing not to do, justify your actions. You want to defend yourself, and explain, it's natural and we all do it. But if we take responsiblity, and trust God, things will always get better, and maybe the chewing won't be so bad.

Steps of Faith:
Father, forgive me for not wanting to accept responsibilty for my actions. Please help me to have the right attitude, even when I'm being disciplined.

Deeper Walk:
Philippians 2: 1-11 NAS
Joy in Serving; Be Like Christ
Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if ther is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interest, but also for the interest of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, althought He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in apperace as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment