Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Doing Some Good

Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2

Today's devotional talks about a woman who moved to a new city, and thought a good way to make new friends would be through a knitting class. She envisioned not just knitting with her new friends, but also sharing concerns and praying for one another, as she had done with her old knitting group. Her new group was different though. Although they did share concerns with each other, they did so with heavy doses of criticism and gossip. The woman started praying for her new friends, and fully intended to share God's love with them. However, after knitting with her new friends for a couple of months, she neglected to share her faith with them, started becoming more like her new friends. She felt convited of her actions, so she prayed and asked God if she should drop out of the group to safeguard herself from these ladies influence. In the end she felt God telling her to stay with the group, and felt even more burdened for her friends salvation.

As beleivers we have to make efforts not to isolate ourselves from unbelievers. It is wonderful to be around people who believe the same way you do, and it makes living Christ that much easier. But we are called to go out into the world. When we mix with nonbelievers it becomes difficult to be set apart. I have experienced many times when I allowed myself to become more like my nonbeliver friends. In the end I always feel unhappy with myself for allowing this. I have found though that I can be friends with nonbelievers and still live my life for Christ. My friends see that I am different, and they know why. I hope that some of them will come to Christ because of this. I pray that I can influence my nonbelieving friends to become more like me, instead of me becoming more like them.

Steps of Faith:
Father, I want ot make a difference in this world. Help me live a set-apart life while I connect with the world around me.

Deeper Walk:
Matthew 5:13-16 NAS
Jesus Teaches about Salt and Light
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment