Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Where are you, God?

I will never leave you or forsake you.
Hebrews 13:5

The story today is about a woman who has been out of work for a while, in fact for nearly a year. Her bills are piling up, and she's at the point where some bills are going unpaid. She is having a conversation with her mom, and she asks her mom, why she couldn't seem to find another job. She had filled out dozens of job applications, with no job offers, and she just doesn't know what she is doing wrong, or why God is letting her go without a job for so long. Her mom responds that she honestly doesn't know, but tells her daughter that waiting on God is a hard thing to do especially when your hurting. But she reminds her daughter that in every circumstance He's right there with you, even though you might feel He isn't listening. Her mom also suggests rereading the book of Job, and tells her daughter that it's in the tough times that our character is formed, and that God is using this situation to help build her faith in Him.

I have had several different situations where it felt like God was far away, and I couldn't understand why he was letting me go through that tough time. But one time that is sticking out to me is when my husband graduated from college and had a hard time finding a job. We were anxious for him to get a job, he had quit his part job a year before so he could focus on finishing up his classes, and our money from his student loan was running out. It was a stressful time, and he went on a couple of different job interviews in different parts of the country. We actually thought one of the job interviews that he went on was going to work out. It was a job in Panama City, Florida. I was dreaming about what our life in Florida would be like, living near the beach, it sounded so wonderful. At the last minute it didn't pan out, and the job that my husband has now did. God had a different plan for our lives. I remember when the job offer came in, it wasn't great money, but we both really felt like we needed to take the job. We weren't where we needed to be in our walk with Jesus at the time, but I still felt His peace about the decision, and He still had a plan for us. He put us in a completely different part of the country, but we are here for a reason, and we feel like God has a plan for us here, and He's not done with us here yet.

It can be tough to trust God in times when you feel like He's far away, but the stronger you are in your faith with Him, the more you will draw in to Him during those times, and your faith will grow even more because of it. He knows the plans He has for you.

Steps of Faith:
Father God, please let me see that You have a plan for me even when times are tough. Help me to remember that You'll never abandon me.

Deeper Walk:
Psalm 25 NAS
Theme: A prayer for defense, guidance, and pardon. As we trust in God, He grants these same requests for us.
Author: David
To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust, do not let me be ashamed; do not let my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none of these who wait for You will be ashamed; those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed.

Make me know Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, Your compassion and Your lovingkindness, for they have been from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to Your lovingkindness remember me, for Your goodness' sake, O LORD.

Good and upright is the LORD; therefore He instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in justice, and He teaches the humble His way. All the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth to those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.

Who is the man who fears the LORD? He will instruct him in the way he should choose. His soul will abide in prospertiy, and his descendants will inherit the land. The secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and He will make them know His covenant. My eyes are continually toward the LORD, for He will pluck my feet out of the net.

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. Look upon my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins. Look upon my enemies, for they are many, and they hate me with violent hatred. Guard my soul and deliver me; do not let me be ashamed, for I take refuge in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You. Redeem Isreal, O God, out of all his troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment