Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The (not so) Express Lane

Refrain from anger and give up your rage; do not be agitated-it can only bring harm.
Psalm 37:8

In today's devotional, the writer tells a story about a time she was in the express lane in the grocery store. She was in a bit of a hurry, and was getting aggrivated with the amount of time the cashier seemed to be taking with each customer. When it finally came to her turn to be checked out, she didn't even try to smile at the cashier, she had her debit card already in her hand, and shoved her groceries across the counter. The cashier smiled at her, though, and started scanning her items. The cashier finshed scanning, thanked her with a warm smile and handed her, her receipt. The writer says she felt a little guilty for so openly displaying her anger, so she just nodded and grabbed her groceries. She says that although she felt God telling her not to get upset over something so insignificant, she still wanted to let someone else know. She marched over to customer service and spoke to the head cashier. The head cashier told her that the new cashier, Sheri had had a stroke several months earlier. The writer felt completely embarrassed and humbled, she hadn't sensed that Sheri was disabled in any way, and she had treated her horribly, not at all like God wanted her to treat Sheri. She thanked the head cashier, and went back to apologize to Sheri.

I have to admit, anger is something that I continually struggle with. Over the past couple of years I have learned not to get so bent out of shape over little things, but I still get quite aggrivated over small things. When this happens I end up feeling like the writer in the story, embarrassed and humbled. I have been trying to remind myself that I don't always know what is going on in other peoples lives, that I don't know about, and that I might be able to help show Jesus to someone, by just being nice in a stressful or aggrivating situation. I have a long way to go in working on controlling my anger, but I know God will continue to help me work on it, and will continue His good work in me, to mold me and make me more like Him.

Steps of Faith:
Lord, please forgive me for the times when I get angry without good cause. Help me to understand that this world isn't perfect and neither am I.

Deeper Walk:
Proverbs 15: 1 & 18 NAS
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but the slow to anger calms a dispute.

No comments:

Post a Comment